Monday, February 1, 2010

Pet Peeves

Pets can be really adorable, like my brother's cute little chow chow and my sister's regal-looking Siamese cats. But everytime I get near them, I always sneeze up a storm and start scratching all over. I don't have asthma, but I just can't help reacting this way. If you happen to have had the same experience, then you must be allergic to pets just like me. It's our immune system's reaction to certain things due to allergens or the substances that cause allergies.

While the job of our immune system is to protect us from harmful bacteria and viruses that enter our body, those who have super sensitive immune system tend to overreact even with harmless allergens found in pet dander or the dead skin shed by animals. Pet fluids like saliva and urine contain harmless protein or allergens which can get into your clothes, surfaces like floors and walls, or into the air during pet grooming. Airborne allergens can float in the air for a long period of time.

People with asthma are susceptible to pet allergens, especially to cats which can lead to chronic asthma. Hence, asthmatic people like me have no choice but to stay away from pets.

For inquiries, health concerns and in need of health services within reach visit Online Consultation @ Easy Health MD

Written By Monch Bravante

No comments: